by Mark Whittaker in Experimental about 4 January - report

The two hour challenge

Can you complete a new track in two hours including uploading to SoundCloud without using any loops?  Dissatisfied with my music productivity I set myself this challenge yesterday eveing - and yes I failed.  The track "Against the Clock" took me 2 hours and 15 minutes from start to upload on SoundCloud.  With absolutely no preparation it was a really interesting and intense experience as I had to make decisions quickly and move on.  In addition to using no loops I only used stock plugins in my DAW (Studio One) with the exception of Ozone for a final mastering polish.  The end product is so far from perfect and listening now there is a lot that I want to change (for example the lead synth sound does not cut through the mix, the drum programming is a bit lame and the piano is rather robotic) but for 2 hours 15 minutes I am quite happy.  I will give this another go in a week or two to see if I can complete the challenge within 2 hours hopefully with a more inspired track.

I challenge you to take the challenge too and post your tracks.

Cheers

Mark

Reviews: 2 • Score 1 • Views: 80
Browse by

by John ØLdbøŸ about 5 January

Agree with Al, great vibe to this. Your on to something with the 2 hr challenge. Good stuff Mark.
    1 comment
    • Mark Whittaker
      by Mark Whittaker
      5 January

John, Thank you for the comments. Let's do a 2 hour challenge. BW Mark

by Al Blivious about 5 January

Actually I think you've done really well with this in such a short time and I think the setting of parameters for yourself has been really beneficial, this is maybe one of the best things that I have heard you upload here. It's got a real open feeling old school house feel to it and doesn't sound overly laboured. I've seen your post on the main page so will continue the discussion over there...

1 comment
    • Mark Whittaker
      by Mark Whittaker
      5 January

Hi Al, Thank you for the feedback. May be I have been over thinking my tracks up to now. I will certainly try this again, Cheers, Mark

You must login to post a review.